Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Breaking Bad is Bad



Breaking Bad is one of the most successful TV shows in the history. It got 9.6/10 in IMDB and 94 awards including Emmy Awards.

After watching the first two seasons and the beginning of season 3, I have to say that I do not know why it is so successful. Is it because finally some bad guys become the main characters? Or it is because drug is a topic many Americans are interested in? Or most ordinary people have a hidden impulse to break bad?

But I do know why I don't like it:

1. Many episodes are actually unnecessary. Especially, the episodes related to Walter's family. You definitely know what gonna happen in his family: Skyler will find out the truth someday. However, at least 1/3 of the time is spent on conflicts in the family which won't push the main theme further. In other episodes where Walter and Jesse do the business, the story writer always try to insert some incidents to make their time harder. And it is really intrusive and make the show unrealistic.

2. The show has a negative emotion. I am not saying it is negative because it portrays drug dealers. I feel it is negative because the show is full of trivial arguments and fights, yelling, dirty words, losers, and frustrations. And it is especially sad to see Walter gradually changed from a decent teacher to a lunatic. I think this will make some audience including me uncomfortable after watching it.

3. You cannot learn something from it. While amusement is one motivation to watch Breaking Bad, I do want to learn something from it. However, I failed to remember anything valuable from it, even English. As a non-native speaker, watching TV show is a good way to learn English language. But Breaking Bad cannot help me with that because most of the sentences are short and simple...

I won't watch it anymore and instead resume watching Law and Order. It is a fairly old show but tells quite a lot about American legal system and the society. The sophistication of the language is also a plus for an English learner.


References:
[1] http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/Breaking%20Bad%20The%20Soundtrack.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment